Discover the roots of the Spanish heritage that has influenced the stunning architecture and picturesque streets of Santa Barbara with a visit to Old Mission. This breathtaking church sits on 13 acres with gorgeous views overlooking the Pacific Ocean and is a must see for any Santa Barbara getaway. Here’s what you should know:
A little history…
- Old Mission is the 10th of 21 Californian Missions built and founded by Spanish Franciscans and has been named “Queen of the Missions” for its beauty and prominent position.
- It was founded in 1786 and has had to be rebuilt twice because of earthquake damage – once in 1812 and again in 1925
- The original fountain and water treatment systems are still intact today
Plan your visit…
- Today Old Mission serves as a place of worship, retreat house, wedding venue, and major tourist attraction.
- Day Trip:
- Step back in time and explore the historic grounds. Stroll through the expansive gardens and take a self-guided tour of the church. After you do a little exploring, find a cozy spot to sit and enjoy a picnic lunch!
- Book a guided tour and get a true appreciation for the history of this special landmark. After the tour stick around and enjoy southern style BBQ from Georgia’s Smokehouse. Their gourmet food truck will be parked out front on select days throughout the summer!
- Special Event:
- Host your wedding or special event at the church! The authentic Spanish architecture provides a unique atmosphere that is sure to make any occasion unforgettable.
- Propose to your special someone! Pack a picnic lunch or find a special spot on the grounds to pop the question.
Santa Barbara bed and breakfast and discover the heart of the town with an adventure to this special landmark. Fuel up for the day with our complimentary European style breakfast and take the short drive or walk up to the Old Mission.